OK – Today is one of those days where things did not necessarily go my way and I think I can trace the reason why back to one, small, miniscule thing (but I’ll share that later 🙂 ).
Some LOWS I Experienced Today:
- My daughter was supposed to get 4 braces on her top row of teeth and instead I had to drop her off at school with an entire top row and some Advil 🙁
- I was late getting back to the house, which threw my schedule for a loop 🙁
- One neighbor’s dog bit another neighbor’s child and since they are both dear friends, I was caught in the middle (including counseling one neighbor, while cleaning the wounds – literally- of the teenager that was bitten) 🙁
- I got REALLY behind on my online work and was scrambling to get caught up while more emails kept coming in with issues that needed to be handled 🙁
- My son lost his coat at school over a week ago. He found it today under a bench on the playground and it has rained at least 3 times since he left it there. 🙁
- My oldest daughter is reading “Great Expectations” as part of her 8th Grade English Class at school. Apparently, one of the chapters contained a parody of Shakespeare’s Hamlet. For homework, she had to explain one of the humorous parts of this parody. She came to me for help asking what a parody was and who is Hamlet? 🙁
- The phone… oh my goodness… It would not stop ringing all afternoon! 🙁
- Dinner was late 🙁
- The kids got in bed late 🙁
- I was late doing my evening routine 🙁
- I should have been in bed with lights off at 9pm, but here I sit at the computer because I forgot to do this post earlier today when I should have. 🙁
- There are still chores to be done before I can go to bed and I am not sure I am going to get any time with God tonight before I collapse and fall asleep 🙁
- No time for my evening warm lemon water 🙁
I am sure almost everyone has had a day like this at some point. Makes me want to say “Calgon, take me away!” like the old commercials from television. I could pout, and stomp, and feel sorry for myself and go to bed in a bad mood – but I won’t. I refuse. I am ending the cycle of this RIGHT NOW. When I reflected on my day today, I realized where I messed up – I KNOW what I did wrong to throw my day off kilter!
I HIT THE SNOOZE BUTTON FROM 5:30AM UNTIL 6:00AM AND DID NOT GET MY TAG DONE UNTIL LATE MORNING! Yep, that’s it – it has to be. That (and a couple events beyond my control) were all it took to throw my entire day off. BUT, I am not leaving it there. Yes, I could be in bed, tossing and turning in aggravation – all stressed out, but I am choosing instead to look back on the day and discover the GOOD THINGS that also happened today…
Some HIGHS I Experienced Today:
- I started my day with my warm lemon water and a nutritious breakfast 😀
- The time at the orthodontist’s office was enjoyable – even for my daughter – we had some good giggles and enjoyed the company of the staff while we were there 😀
- I changed the sheets on my bed and did not get tired! 😀
- I tried out Yoga for the first time since my healing and it felt great! 😀
- I got my grocery and meal planning done for Thanksgiving as well as for the next 2 weeks – I even added cost estimates next to each item so I could ballpark the costs involved 😀
- My dogs did not bite anyone! 😀
- None of my children were bitten by any dogs. 😀
- Dinner was yummy, even though it involved leftovers 😀
- We had a little extra cash on-hand so we went out for a special treat at Sonic together 😀
- We laughed at funny t-shirt sayings online together 😀
- Every time I felt grumpy and started to get frustrated, my husband was there behind me with a silly face or a kiss – although he might have been kind of scared… LOL! 😀
You know what? All in all, not a bad day the way I see it!
So things didn’t go my way. God ensured they still went His way.
The dog bite drama was chaotic. I was able to offer kindness, compassion, prayers, and help to BOTH of my neighbors.
Trying to explain Hamlet to a child who had no clue about it was daunting. I did a Google search and a video by some high school kids explaining Hamlet in everyday language was the very first video on the search results (and it was only 5 minutes long!).
I couldn’t bounce on a rebounder and defy gravity today. I did Yoga and felt fantastic!
I didn’t get in bed on time. God gave me the time to reflect and see that His goodness was with me all day and I have NOTHING to grump about!
If you had a day today that really did not go your way. STOP! and THINK! about all the ways that God used those “bad times” and used them for GOOD – as He has done since Old Testament Times until now! (Just read about Moses if you aren’t sure.) Reflect on the GOOD before you go to bed and have sweet dreams and restful, restorative sleep the whole night long. Relax – and know that God is in control… even when your day feels out of control.